Monday, December 06, 2004

One of the most painful experience of my life..

Sometimes we forget just how fragile our life is .. that at any moment a disaster could strike. Just as we are forgetting, we cease to appreciate as much, we neglect our health, taking it for granted.. pitying those who are constantly in struggle against sickness, wondering how they can continue to find the strength...

Just as finals are approaching, a headache stroke me like no other, decapacitating me completely, making me feel helpless, weak.. After coming back from thansgiving, I have been feeling a slight headache. Knowing my body very well, I knew that was not normal but the headache was just not strong enough for me to take any action, but it persisted. Until Thursday night when it got much worse, I realized I will have to see a docter on Friday. Going to Ashe Center on Friday while experiencing the worst pain yet, the headache just got worse and worse everyday. Every movement I make trigger a even harder pounding of my head, staying still did not help either, the headache just keeps on coming. At that time I had a slight cold, congested nose but I did not have a huge cold or fever so it really was weird to me why I am having this headache. I never ever had a headache like this so I was truly concerned, jokingly telling people around me that I might die.. not being careful what I wish for...

Ashe center didnt help much.. I mean where did these doctors get their degrees? Community college? I did not know they make doctors.. Anyways, some dumb doctor told me I may have migraine, and I believed her.. taking some migraine medicine.. that DID NOT HELP.. it relieved the headache a little bit but it also made me a little nausated.. Actually, make that A LOT nausated by Saturday morning.. I do not know if it was the medicine or that my headache simply got worse like it has been for the past 5 days.. but I threw up twice and started seeing blurred vision, I was feeling like passing out and very nausated. I knew for a fact that this is serious and this is an emergency.. Oh did I mention that I did not eat in the morning?.. My roommates are all out practicing for football so I called Bo Xu, who came to rescue and took me to UCLA Emergency Room...

The waiting period in ER was simply one of the worst experience of my life. I understand that ER is very busy and a lot of patients have much worse problem than me, but that does not alleviate my pain of waiting for my name to be called for almost three hours... The headache never stopped, the nausea never stopped.. and I had a huge runny nose making me look like the sickest guy in the waiting room... to add to all the misery, I was watching the USC vs UCLA game on TV with a room full of Trojans fans!! How can there be so many Trojans fans in Westwood? UCLA must be doing something wrong...

Finally a real doctor saw me and injected some medicine in me.. YES, injected, with a needle in my arm while liquid falling from above.. I have not had one of these since I was in Junior high in China when I had a fever.. I was just sitting there for almost an hour while the liquid was falling into me, I could not move and it was not the most comfortable environment with all the sick people coming and going and I was just there out in the open.. in the hallway.. did I mention that before this incident I have never visited a doctor about a sickness in U.S? or get prescribed drugs? .. How I take my health for granted...

I feel much better now, although still with a slight headache, I think it will go away soon, my conclusion is.. DO NOT GO TO ASHE CENTER for your problem :)..
Anyways, my real conclusion is that I have taken my health too lightly, I do not eat regular meals, I skip meals, I do not excercise nearly as much as I used to, I simply do not take care of myself at all.. But after this I will.. This was too much, I hope never to experience this again.. Never again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home